AEM Architects was founded in 1974 by
the merger and incorporation of two of the leading
architectural firms practicing in Berks County: Elmer H.
Adams & Associates (founded in 1932) and Carl A. Eisenhower
(founded in 1936). Along with Marlan Meckley, a member of
Carl Eisenhower's practice since 1958, they founded Adams,
Eisenhower & Meckley, Inc. using AEM Architects as their
With the retirements of Carl Eisenhower in 1978
and Elmer Adams in 1985, Marlan Meckley assumed complete
ownership and management of the firm. Under his direction,
the firm embraced the technology of computer aided drafting
and expanded its focus in the educational and health care
In 2000, Philip Leinbach (joined AEM in 1991) and Peter
Meckley (joined AEM Architects in 1991) became shareholders and assumed complete
management and direction of the firm.
In 2006, the firm officially changed its corporate name
to AEM Architects, Inc.